What is Alkaline Water?
Every liquid in this world is measured for its acidity or alkalinity. The scale that measures these values is called a pH scale. A pH value tells if a solution is acidic or alkaline. The scale goes from 0 to 14, where anything below 7 is acidic, 7 is neutral, and over 7 is alkaline. To give you an idea about it, here are the pH values of a few known liquids:
- Regular or normal drinking water has a pH ranging from 6.5 to 8.5;
- The Hydrochloric Acid present in our stomach has a pH of around 1.8;
- Milk has a pH value of around 6.8
“Acidity in water refers to the presence of a high amount of acid in the water, which makes it sour or bitter to taste. It is caused by the presence of hydrogen ions in the water, which makes it more acidic.”
Alkaline water, also known as ionized water in Japan, is water that has a pH level greater than 7, making it less acidic than regular tap water. Alkaline water can taste slightly bitter and has a slippery or soapy texture. This water contains minerals that can neutralize the acid in the bloodstream, potentially improving overall health. Alkaline water is found naturally in some springs and wells and is created by adding special machines or drops to regular tap water. But is this water worth losing your pockets for?
Various studies have been done around this ionized water and all these show it to have favorable effects on the human body. The science behind this is still not completely understood. However, a few studies suggest that the antioxidant properties of this water help our bodies get rid of free radicals. These free radicals cause damage human cells and thus cause ageing and other issues.
Also, alkaline water helps balance the pH level of our bodies. A highly acidic body environment causes early ageing and gastrointestinal issues. Apart from it, here are the other benefits of iodized water:
Provides essential minerals and antioxidants. Many companies infuse alkaline with added essential minerals like calcium, potassium, magnesium, and other alkaline minerals. These minerals are vital to our healthy growth and help our body function properly. Different minerals have different functions and are needed in varying amounts. Also, this ionized water contains antioxidants that fight harmful radicals in our bodies.
Improves digestion and metabolism. The regular ingestion of alkaline water has proven to enhance digestive function and overall health. In a study done in Japan, two groups were compared with one taking the AEW (Alkaline Electrolyzed Water); the impact was seen in stool normalization, intestinal health improvement, and easing of gastrointestinal issues. In Japan, AEW apparatuses have been approved to be used medically due to the proven benefits of alkaline water in the human body. Another study showed that this water has a potential impact on reducing acid reflux.
Enhances immune system function. The supporters of alkaline water have claimed that ionized water enhances immune function due to its antioxidant and pH-balancing properties. However, know that more research is needed in the area to prove its effectiveness.
Boosts hydration and reduces fatigue. Our bodies process more water to dispel the acid and other toxins present in the bloodstream. This leads to frequent urination and thus a state of possible dehydration. Drinking alkaline water neutralizes the acid in the bloodstream and creates an alkaline environment in the body; consequently, reducing the workload on the kidneys. Also, this, in turn, allows the body to more efficiently transport oxygen and other nutrients to the cells, which can increase energy levels and reduce feelings of fatigue. Additionally, the smaller water molecule clusters found in alkaline water may make it easier for the body to absorb and utilize the water, further improving hydration levels.
Alleviates skin conditions. Alkaline water has a higher pH level than regular tap water, which means it may help neutralize the acidity on the skin’s surface. This is beneficial for people with conditions such as eczema or psoriasis and acne breakouts, which are often associated with skin acidity. Not only this, alkaline water contains minerals that can help nourish and hydrate the skin, promoting a healthy and radiant appearance.
But as is the case with anything out there, alkaline water also might have potential side effects. Let’s look at the other side of the coin and learn about its possible negative effects.
Side Effects of Alkaline Water
Humans are habitual of devouring anything beneficial beyond their limits. Not only this, we often tend to ignore the negative effects of the influence of our cravings. Although alkaline water has been proven beneficial in numerous studies done, the research is still limited. So, before you consume it, here are the side effects that you should keep in mind.
- Over-alkalinity can harm health: The body has a natural pH balance that ranges from slightly acidic to slightly alkaline. If the pH balance is disrupted, it can lead to health problems.
- May lead to metabolic alkalosis: Over-consumption of alkaline water can cause the body’s pH balance to shift towards alkalinity, which can lead to a condition called alkalosis. Symptoms of alkalosis include nausea, vomiting, hand tremors, muscle twitching, and confusion.
- Interferes with medications: Human body breaks down medicines into smaller molecules to ensure that it is able to expel them when needed. Over-consumption of alkaline water can also interfere with the body’s ability to metabolize certain medications.
- Harmful for people with kidney problems: Because more research is needed, people with kidney problems should avoid its intake. It’s because the added minerals might fail to get filtered and build up in the system.
- Might lead to fibrosis: A study done in 1998 on rats indicated that prolonged intake of ionized water can lead to fibrosis.
If you are looking to include alkaline water in your diet, consult your doctor first. This way, you’ll be able to get specific advice after keeping your present medical condition in focus.
Alkaline/Remineralizing System by EcoWater©
The EcoWater Systems model EACW increases the pH and remineralizes the water.
It is designed for best performance to be installed in the line between the RO
system’s product water outlet and the product water dispensing faucet.
Here’s How the EACW Works:
Water is directed through the EACW filter where it dissolves minerals to add flavor
and raise pH. Chlorine taste and odor and sediment are reduced. The only thing
left behind is pure, great tasting water and minerals that help improve the taste of
Features and Benefits:
- • Provides great tasting water for cooking and drinking – eliminates the need for
• Raises pH to 9-10
• Compact design can attach directly to EWS385/375/175 Reverse Osmosis systems.
• Safe minerals are added to the water, improving taste and raising pH.
• Encapsulated replacement filters with sealed outer shell to ensure that every filter
change is sanitary and dry.
Conclusion: Is Alkaline Water Really Worth It?
Although studies have been done on the possible benefits of alkaline water for the human body, the evidence is not conclusive enough for all the claims made. When it comes to intestinal health, ample hydration, and antioxidant benefits, alkaline water has been proven helpful. However, consulting a doctor is recommended if you suffer from any underlying health condition. Also, precautions must be taken regarding over-consumption, which can lead to severe health conditions including alkalosis.